Create An Uncomfortable Place To Land
Birds need space to land, and this needs to be taken away.
Place a border of one-inch chicken wire around your pool, and it will keep the birds from pooping in your pool.
The use of a border might not be so effective for birds who can swim and who will dive down to poop in your pool. That is why the floating pool cover is your best option.
This cover is easy to install, and it works quite well even against diving ducks if you make sure that the edges are below the water surface and that it is strong enough .
How To Keep Pigeons Away From Your Pool
Pigeons can be cute, but they are also very annoying pests.
If you have a pool, the bad news for you is that these birds will immediately know it, and at first sight of your water pond, they will come to rest on its edge or even on the waters surface, and they will be soon pooping it.
Moreover, there is a risk of getting diseases through those droppings as parasites may live on the pigeons bodies.
So what should you do to ensure that pigeons dont trash your pool?
You must first make sure that they cant land on your pools edge or even on its surface by hanging some wind bells next to it.
As soon as they see these objects swinging in the wind, they will be scared away and wont dare come closer. So not only will you remove one of their favorite resting spots, but also they will try to find a new one and wont land on your pool for sure.
However, it is quite possible that even if you do this trick, some pigeons still decide to fly over the pool from time to time as those birds are greedy.
In the worst case, you have to place some spikes along the length of your pool to make sure they never perch on its edge.
But be careful not to hurt them as these animals are living creatures, and you will be responsible for anything that happens after this. Dont harm another creature if it is possible!
If they continue to poo on your water, all you have to do is place a net over it, so they will fly away without having the possibility of resting on your pool.
Provide An Alternative To Your Pool
Although they can sometimes be a nuisance, birds are often a blessing for home and pool owners to have around their yard:
- Controlling Pests: Your backyard is a sanctuary until mosquitos join the party. Birds are instrumental in keeping these and other pests like aphids and spiders under control.
- Pollinating Flowers: Hummingbirds and other nectar-drinking birds are especially good pollinators, which makes them an asset for any garden.
- Regulating Weeds: Not all birds are insect eaters. Those that prefer seeds can actually help you in reducing unwanted plants.
If you want to give birds a safe space to clean and prune themselves, consider installing a bird bath. Youll find a range of styles available to suit the aesthetics of your yard.
When theyre sharing your space in a way that doesnt disturb you, birds can provide enjoyment and stress relief as you listen to their songs and watch them fly back and forth. This atmosphere makes your pool a relaxing and tranquil place to be.
Read Also: Does A Pool Add Property Value
Use A Soapy Water Spray
You can mix a spray bottle with soap and water to repel bees from your pool if youre relaxing in it. If you successfully spray a bee with this, they will die so its not the preferred method.
However, doing this will kill bees who cant convey to other bees where the water is, and after a couple of days the bees should stop arriving. It should work for wasps too!
Izbie Z1 Ultrasonic Bird Repellent
Here comes an ultrasonic bird repellent which is a product of up-to-date technology, the Izbie Ultrasonic Bird Repellent. This model is appraised as a breakthrough, scare not only annoying birds but also rodents, snakes, deer and other intruders.
This bird repellent is designed to deter some kinds of animals away with the effects of sound and light. The birds would detect the ultrasound and flashlight as dangerous sources, so they would fly away, even do not dare to visit this area again. It is totally cruel-free to animals.
This model comes with 5 settings ranging from the smallest up to the loudest sound and flashing light. Normally, mode 3 is proper to cast the pesky birds away without frightening my pet dog and my neighbors cats. If other larger animals are wandering your garden, I guess mode 5 should be used.
I do not pay much attention to watch when this device runs out of battery as it is maintained by a solar panel. It could restore enough electricity to run throughout the night, then charge with the sunshine on the next day. On top of that, there is a USB charger as well, which is a life-saver during the grey days of the winter.
This model works an amazing job when it is able to cover an area of 10 metres in open space. I set the device by the fence of my backyard and the sound reach out full of it. In fact, the sound can be detectable in my house, but it is not that noisy. My family feedback that the sound does not bother them much.
Recommended Reading: Natural Gas Pool Heater Sizing
How To Keep Ducks And Geese From Swimming In Your Pool
Deterring larger birds like ducks or geese from swimming in your pool might need another type of tactic than a regular garden bird. There are some things you can do to modify the area around your swimming pool that will keep these birds from taking a swim. These include:
- Food: Do not feed or provide food for ducks or geese. This will encourage them to come back.
- Grass: Limit the amount of grass in the area, as some ducks and geese feed on grass.
- Removal: Ducks and geese flock together, so removing the offenders will lessen the likelihood of returning birds. You will need to contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture to learn about removal.
Tips On How To Keep Birds From Pooping On My Deck Porch Patio And Pool
Birds are lovely creatures, and theyre an important part of natures ecosystem. However, the droppings they leave behind are certainly not pleasant. Not many of us have time to fully pressure wash our deck and patio before spending time outside on a nice day. And if youre a pool owner, you dont need me to tell you that seeing bird droppings float on by as youre swimming is unsavory.
If youre wondering how to keep your outdoor spaces clean, check out these 12 tips for keeping birds from pooping on your deck, porch, patio, and pool!
Don’t Miss: Pool Salt Calculator
Why Birds Hang Around A Pool
Birds will always naturally gravitate towards water. They may find your pool a great place to prune their feathers and clean themselves. Obviously, they have no idea that this pool is used by humans to swim in, so it really is not their fault they have chosen it as their go-to to cleanse.
Even so, it can be an annoying situation, and there are plenty of ways to distract and deter them and even the possibility of giving them their own space.
How Can You Prevent Birds From Pooping In Your Swimming Pool
- I had the same problems regarding birds pooping in the pool. My neighbor advised me to use an alligator float chlorinator. I purchased the alligator at Home Depot and put it in my pool. The result? No birds even close to the poolâ¦ birds do NOT like the alligator.
- Local people in Hawaii hang old and unused CDs from trees around their yards. When the sun hits a CD, it shines a light everywhere all the time! Try this. It will keep all birds away and they wonât come back. If you have lots of birds at your home, I would hang the CDs in at least 4 spots around your house.
- My observations regarding the bird droppings in our pool are that the birds are actually cleaning out their nests and dropping the waste in and on our pool. My guess is that they are discarding it to avoid drawing predators to the nest area. Hopefully when their young have left the nest, the problem will be over.
- I have the same problem this year with the black birds spitting in the pool. I bought a $19.99 huge owl with a rotating head. I put it out there two days ago, and not one bird came by. You have to move the owl every other day. It works!
- Nothing works. I have two owls and the black birds just about land on them. Yesterday I washed the solar cover, this morning there was too much dropping to count.
- It has been over two weeks since I have put my owl around the pool and not one black bird came back to spit in the pool.
- Try a product called âNo More Ducksâ from Australia.
Don’t Miss: Fiberglass Pool Crack Repair
Pinwheels To Scare Birds Away
This trick will not only help you scare off birds but also be a fun object to put up in your swimming pool area, especially when you have kids around. Pinwheels are mostly multi-colored or even metallic objects which spin, creating a whirlpool of motion and noise that help you scare birds away.
It is better to go for a metallic pinwheel as it can reflect light which further deters the birds.
You can get these pinwheels from your nearby local childrens toy store. Also, you must make sure you secure these spinning wheels near a windy area like the pool deck or a tree.
You can buy these Bird Blinder Sparkly Pin Wheels on Amazon.
Best Products You Can Purchase For Bird Prevention
If home remedies arent keeping the birds away from your pool, there are a wide variety of products you can purchase that are highly rated as bird deterrents. They range in price from $10-$200 and use a variety of techniques to drive the birds away. Some of the best products you can buy to keep birds away from your pool include:
- Stainless steel bird spikes: Bird spikes like the OFFO Spikes prevent birds from landing in their usual spots and leaving droppings behind.
- Plastic predators: There are a wide variety of bird predators that will drive birds away, and fake decoy versions, like the Besom Owl Decoy, are sure to scare them.
- Shiny tape: Reflective tape like the Gold Scare Tape can be taped around your pool to confuse and frighten birds.
- Round eye deterrents: Bird repellent discs, like these from SLMEN, mimic predator eyes and frighten birds away.
- Repellent spray: Spray some Repels All around your pool and swimming area to keep birds far away from the water.
- Ultrasonic repellent: The MoreStar animal repellent emits a frequency that will frighten and irritate birds and keep them from settling around your pool.
- Laser repellent: The LaserLands diode laser may have a slightly higher price tag, but its flashing lights are proven to frighten birds, and drive them away.
Recommended Reading: What Size Pump Do I Need For My Above Ground Pool
Make It Difficult For Them To Nest
One of the first and most important steps to keep birds away from the swimming pool is to make the area inhospitable for them. This doesnt mean you need to set death traps around your pool that might hurt them.
It simply means you should eliminate possible spots for them to roost, such as low-hanging branches.
If there are dense shrubs and hedges around the pool, you may want to keep them trimmed as well. In short, any potential spots for them to build a nest must be eliminated.
Creating An Alternative Spot For Them
Having birds around the pool is not generally a bad thing, it is just when they take over. Hearing the singing of a bird can actually be really relaxing, especially after a stressful week at work.
Another way of attempting to get rid of birds from a pool is to find an alternative for them to move to, this is also a great option for keeping bees and wasps away from your swimming pool as well. Whilst your pool might be inviting to them, you could make a place even more inviting. There are various ways to do this such as:
- Installing A Birdbath birds will use a birdbath for the very same reason they will use your pool. If you work on the list above and install something like a birdbath, it may help them to move away from the pool and onto something new that has been designed specifically for them.
- Installing A Bird feeder just like with the birdbath, adding a bird feeder will give them a food source. Whilst it might sound like a good distraction, it will also naturally help them to gravitate somewhere else that is not inside your pool. Having a bird feeder and a birdbath and you are set.
A bird feeder may also be your downfall. It may encourage birds to return. See what works for you, just make sure not to place it too close to the pool!
Don’t Miss: Diy Swimming Pool Construction
Scientists Suggestions On How To Get Rid Of Birds
Each species is distinguished by its behavior and activity peculiarities. That is why combinations of elimination methods vary depending on both building type and species. It is also essential to be able to switch between several treatments quickly as birds tend to get used with most of them with time.
As Holly K. Ober from the University of Florida explains, the trick to effective use of deterrents is to begin using deterrents as soon as possible after the problem starts so animals do not develop a habit of using the resource, switch hazing tactics regularly so animals do not become used to a deterrent that is meant to scare them, and use tactics that appeal to more than one sensory modality so animals are bothered in several ways and remain cautious and confused.
Why You Need To Keep Ducks Out
- A presence of wildlife, including birds, increase the risk of germs and disease such as Crypto, E.coli, Salmonella. Fortunately, most types of bacteria die quickly once they come into contact with the chlorinethis is why it’s so important to maintain your pool and its chlorine levels.
- While nitrates and phosphates are naturally occurring contaminant to pools, ducks and other birds can contaminate them even more.
- Once these animals take up residence, it will be hard to get them to leave.
Don’t Miss: Mandalay Las Vegas Pool
Keep Birds Away From Ponds & Pools
When you have a swimming pool or garden pond on your property, you need to deter unwanted birds before they become a nuisance. Many birds may try to use your pond or swimming pool as a habitat or as a place to cool off. They may contaminate the water with their droppings. They might be congregating around your pool causing a mess that is time consuming and inconvenient to clean. How can you deter birds and stop them visiting your pond or pool?
Motion Activated Sprinkler
The Sureguard Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler is our recommended deterrent that scares birds and quickly eliminates bird problems. When the bird moves within range of the sensor it triggers a 3-second burst of water toward the bird. The combination water motion, sound and the sudden action make this repellent particularly effective.
Motion Activated Ultrasonic
Sureguard Scarecrow Motion Activated Ultrasonic Repellents is an alternative the our sprinkler product. When the bird moves within range of the sensor it triggers a 10-second burst of ultrasonic sound together with strobe lights.
Scare Birds Away From Your Swimming Pool
Predator decoys are a great way to scare birds away from your pool. They mimic the look and size of your backyard birds, natural predators. These include:
Predator Eye Deterrent
Predator eye deterrents are physical devices that mimic the eyes of predators to scare birds away from specific areas. There are devices to use in the daytime and some to use at night. They are a humane and highly effective bird scare to use.
Predator eye balloons are great to use during the day to mimic a predators eyes, colors, and movements.
Scarecrows have been used to scare birds for many years and tend to work just fine, as long as you change the appearance from time to time to keep the birds on their toes.
Use Reflective Devices/bird diverters.
Reflective work well to deter birds because they reflect light which scares most birds. This means that reflective devices like pinwheels work great to scare birds away from areas around your pool. Pinwheels can also be used to make certain areas less desirable for birds to fly over, like at the edge of your pool, where people may walk.
- Old CDs
Laser Bird Deterrent
The downside to these optical lasers is that they can be costly and have a vast effect area, which may not work if you want birds to visit other areas of your yard, namely your bird feeders or birdbaths.
Sonic Bird Repellent
The downside is that some species of birds may still get used to the noises over time.
Read Also: Spiders In My Pool