Salt Water Test Strips
Salt water test strips are easy to use and will provide reasonably accurate salinity and other chemical readings within seconds. They are handy as a back up product to ensure that your salinity levels are within ideal operating range, even if your chlorine generator provides a salt reading. Most test strips will measure salinity levels between 500-7000 ppm and will work great as long as you are within that range.
The only disadvantage with test strips is that they do have a range of error of about 200-300 ppm and for that reason they aren’t ideal if you want a really accurate reading. If you want a more precise reading you should consider a drop test or digital tester.
Salt Water Test Kit Safety
It’s always important to keep safety in mind not only for yourself but for anyone else around you when working with the chemistry of your pool. If you are using a drop tester or reagents that requires the mixing and adding of chemicals always wear gloves and protective eyewear. It’s also a good idea to keep children and pets away from the area you are working.
There is a wide range of salt water test kits available on the market today. The simple test strips are often sufficient for residential pool owners to keep an eye on salt and chemistry levels between servicing from a professional. If you carry out your own balancing and maintenance we recommend a quality drop test kit.
Please use all appropriate and proper safety precautions when attempting projects on this website. All projects are attempted at the reader’s own risk.
Salt Water Pool and Spa participates in various affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, as an Amazon Associate we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Professional Tds Ppm Conductivity Meter Quick And Easy Ec Tds And Temperature
- â as much as 20% higher accuracy: the superior Three-in-1 smartpen combines tds, ec, and a temperature meter for improved accuracy. with an computerized temperature compensation and the measuring vary of Zero-9999 ppm +/- 2%, its an especially useful machine to have round.
- â wonderful worth our tds meter offers a cheap option to commonly measure the effectiveness of ro/di programs, water high quality in swimming pools and aquariums, hydroponic nutrient stability and far more. the robust titanium alloy probe retains it functioning for years to come back.
- â fast and straightforward to make use of measure your water high quality inside seconds. merely dip the meter into the water, gently stir, and lock the outcomes on the display. our straightforward to observe directions make this manufacturing facility calibrated tds meter tremendous handy to make use of, whether or not at house or on the go.
- â free tds e-book: as a particular thanks, well ship you a free tds testing information together with helpful ideas and insights from certified water consultants. this can enable you navigate the world of tds testing with an ease.
- â devoted staff of consultants you possibly can at all times rely on our staff of epa consultants, with greater than 30 years of experience within the water high quality trade. in case you have any questions or issues, merely get in contact with us and well enable you get it proper.
You May Like: How To Treat High Cyanuric Acid In Pools
Top Line Pool Testing Strips
The TOP LINE pool testing strips seem like quite a deal when you first notice them. Although theyre priced similarly to most competing brands, you receive twice as many strips for the price. Moreover, these strips perform a 7-way test which includes pH, free chlorine, total chlorine, total alkalinity, cyanuric acid, total hardness, and even salt. They only need to be dipped in the pool for 2 seconds, but the color change takes 60 seconds.
For the price, we were a bit apprehensive. Turns out, we had good reason. We were pretty surprised to see the colors running together when we pulled the first strip from the pool. Obviously, this makes it pretty hard to get a reading. We tried again, this time removing it from the water quickly to lay it flat. We still experienced running, but this time we could make out the individual colors a bit better. Regrettably, they didnt match close enough to the color chart to make for easy identification. We had a difficult time figuring out where our levels really were. Although at face value they seem like a great choice, youre better off spending a bit more on another brand.
- Colors run and bleed together
- Colors are not accurate to the chart
- Cant get an accurate reading
Why Test Pool Water
A swimming pool is just a hole in the ground without water, and swimming is no fun if not experienced in clean, clear and healthy water.
Since swimming pools are generally used by multiple people at any given time, it is imperative that pool water is tested and treated regularly to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and enhance the pool experience.
Read Also: When Does Lifetime Fitness Pool Close
How To Read Your Test Results
Each test strip brand may be slightly different. The following explains how to read pool test strip results for Clorox® Pool& Spa Multi-Use Smart Strips and 6-Way Test Strips. For all other strips, refer to the product label instructions.
Total Hardness: Total Hardness measures the amount of calcium and other minerals in your water. Having water either too hard or too soft, combined with other balance factors, can damage pool equipment and surfaces. Maintain Total Hardness between 175275 ppm.
Total Chlorine: Total Chlorine is the amount of chlorine in your water, including free available and combined chlorine. Maintain Total Chlorine between 14 ppm.
Free Chlorine: Free Chlorine measures the amount of chlorine available to sanitize your pool water, which is necessary to kill bacteria and control algae. Maintain Free Chlorine between 14 ppm.
pH: pH measures how acidic or basic your pool water is. The measurement is critical to the health of your pool water. Having an imbalanced pH can damage pool equipment, cause swimmer discomfort, and hinder the performance of your sanitizer. Maintain pH between 7.2 to 7.6.
Total Alkalinity: Total Alkalinity and pH are closely related. A low total alkalinity may cause fluctuations in your waters pH and exacerbate low pH. Having highly alkaline water can cause pH to drift upwards. Maintain Total Alkalinity between 80150 ppm.
Top 10 Best Salt Water Test Strips For Pool In 2021 Comparison Table
- Includes Water Chemistry Insert With Directions
- 10 Strips/Bottle
- Tests For: Salt
- No Assembly Required
- AquaChek 561161 White Salt Titrators Test Kit – 40 strips Per Bottle
- WIDE TEST RANGE: Salt test strips measure Sodium Chloride Range from 0 – 8000 ppm in salt swimming pools and spa
- QUICK & EASY TESTING: Fill a small container with pool or spa/hot tub water at a depth of 1 cm. Dip the pool salt test strip into water for about 4 1/2 minutes. Remove it, and compare with the color chart to read the results. Easy to monitor the salt levels of your pool or spa.
- HIGH PRECISION RESULT: No need to shake the strip after dipping into water, each test strip is made of high quality PET paper that provides instant and reliable results
- LONG-TERM STORAGE: 20 salt water pool test strips in bottle. Moisture proof bottle cap plus an individually packed desiccant, for dual protection from moisture.
- TEST REGULARLY FOR A HEALTHY POOL OR SPA: It is important to test your pool or spa at least twice per week to control the Sodium Chloride content in the water.
- AquaChek 542228A Salt System Test Kit
- Manufactured to the highest standards to provide you with a quality product
- Best value for your money
Q: Can You Put Chlorine In A Salt Water Pool
A: Yes, it’s completely safe to use chlorine in a salt water pool, and sometimes completely necessary.
Now, you shouldnt be having to use chlorine in it all the time or that would defeat the purpose.
However, you probably still need to be using chlorine shock to treat your pool occasionally just like with a regular pool.
And if you notice a problem with algae or are having trouble keeping your pH levels balanced, you’ll need to use it more often.
Q: What Chemicals Do I Need For A Salt Water Pool
Some pool owners overlook cyanuric acid for their salt water pools, but this stabilizer is still important to maintain the right sanitizer levels.
Remember, your salt water pool is still a chlorinated pool. Its just generated differently.
You may also need muriatic acid to lower pH levels when they get too high and soda ash to raise them.
You’ll also need sodium bisulphate to lower alkalinity, sodium bicarbonate to raise alkalinity, and of course pool salt to keep your levels in check.
Also Check: Does Costco Sell Pool Chlorine
Use A Liquid Reagent Kit
Testing your pool using a liquid reagent kit from your local pool supplier is another easy and reliable way to test your pools salt level. Although they cost a little bit more than salt test strips, liquid reagent kits typically run between $15 and $20 testing your pool with a liquid reagent kit is a simple process that will help keep your collection clean.
To test your pool water with a liquid reagent kit, you fill the included vials with samples from your saltwater pool and then add the liquid reagent according to the manufacturers instructions. Once youve mixed the reagent with your pool water samples, the samples will change color.
At this point, you should refer back to the manufacturers instructions for guidance on how to interpret the test results, although this is a simple process that youll get better at with time. Most liquid reagent kits require you to compare your pool samples against an included color chart to determine their salinity.
Check The Salt Cell Every Three Months
Most salt generators have automatic alerts that flash when the cells need to be changed, but even if they dont, you need to inspect them consistently.
You’ll be looking for buildup or debris that might have gotten past your filter.
If there’s anything in it, flush it thoroughly with a high-pressure hose.
You may even need to chip calcium buildup away with a plastic tool.
Recommended Reading: Pentair Lsi Calculator
Use A Handheld Electronic Meter
You can also choose to test the salt level in your pool using a handheld electronic meter. In that case, youll turn the electronic meter on and then dip the pen-style meter into your pool water while your electronic meter analyzes it. Some handheld meter systems work by requiring the user to fill a small plastic cup with pool water fitted into the testing meter.
Electronic testing meters are a newer method of testing your pool water that is generally accurate as long as they are correctly calibrated before measuring your pool. The primary advantage with a digital pool meter is that they perform many other tests that many liquid reagent kits cannot, such as the total dissolved solids test.
Most electronic testing meters have a small margin of error, so if you choose to use one, youll need to remember that the numbers you see are directionally accurate, even if they are slightly off. Handheld electronic meters are most effective when you use them alongside pH and liquid reagent tests.
Digital Salinity Tester For Salt Water Waterproof Ip67 Salinity Meter With Atc Large Range 0
- Salinity Range: 0~9999ppm/10~200ppt or 0.0-25%, ORAPXI salinity tester has an automatic temperature compensation function, which can decrease the error caused by the change of liquid temperature.
- Wide applications: There are various purposes for the salinity tester. This instrument can not only detect the salt content of edible salt, salt water pool and koi fish pond, but also the salinity of seawater, marine, salt water fish tank salt level testing.
- Backlit design: There is no need to worry about seeing the displayed value if the light is insufficient. ORAPXI salinity meter features a green backlit LCD to help you see the measurement results clearly in any situation.
- 4-in-1 salinity tester: The ORAPXI multi-parameter Tester can test Salinity, TDS, EC and Temperature in an accurate, quick and reliable manner for most regular water solutions testing. Support One-tap switch from salinity to TDS/EC.
- After-sales: 30-day free return/replacement and we promise respond your any questions about the product within 12 hours.
Recommended Reading: Can Lice Live In Chlorine Pools
Q: How Much Salt Do I Need For A Salt Water Pool
The amount of salt you need will vary for each salt generator and will also be dependent on your pool size in gallons.
But in general, adding 8 lbs of pool salt raises the level by 1,000 ppm per 10,000 gallons of water.
So, if you have a 20,000 gallon pool, you would probably need about 12 40 lb bags of salt to get it to the recommended 3,000 ppm level.
Of course, that assumes you are starting from zero, which most new pools will be at.
Jnw Direct Pool And Spa Test Strips
The JNW Test Kit is simple, checks for six different parameters , and takes things to the digital level by incorporating an app so that you can track and inventory your test results.
Each pack contains 100 strips for your pool, and with an eBook for best testing practices, the JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Kit will keep your pool and spa clean and ready for action all year long.
Read Also: Prices On Endless Pools
Aquachek 10 Pack Spa/pool Salt Test Strips
FREE In-Store Pick-up on all eligible orders
Ship to Home starting at $4.99
Changing stores may affect items in your cart
Due to regional shipping fees and product availability, selecting different store may affect the items in your cart
Changing stores may affect items in your cart
The store you are switching to cannot currently accept online orders. You will lose all items in your cart.
Best Pool Test Kits 2020
Like test strips, the basic concept of liquid pool test kits involves mixing chemical reagents with a water sample to compare to a color chart.
Liquid pool test kits have a higher accuracy when it comes to individual chemical levels, and most offerings come in a portable and durable outer casing. Some reagents will get used more frequently due to the requirements to perform some tests and you may find that you have to replace individual pieces of your kit more often than others.
Liquid test kits are often preferred over test strips among pool and spa professionals.
LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
- Tests for Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, PH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.
- Portable Case
- Digital Readings
The LaMotte Pro7 liquid test kit is the only offering in this buyers guide that doesnt require the consumer to eyeball the results and compare to a color chart. In this kit, the equipment instead reads the color of the water sample and provides a numerical value on the display.
In addition, this kit uses tablets rather than liquid reagents to test for Cyanuric Acid. They are stored similar to cold remedy pills, requiring a finger to push one out of its sealed pod. These tablets can be difficult to push through and since some foil wrappers can get weak, they can be easily compromised as well.
Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C
TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES K-2006 TEST KIT
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Pool Spiders
Digital Testers And Kits
If you want instant and incredibly accurate testing results, a digital reader is a great option. These handheld units will replace strips and reagent bottles so you won’t ever have to use them again when testing for salinity or other chemicals in your pool. If you plan on testing for many years or you’re a pool professional these are a great investment because you won’t need to purchase any more strips.
If you find this option appealing there are digital pool test kit and pH testers available. The upfront cost is higher for electronic devices but in the long run you will save money and be assured of years of fast and accurate results.
How To Test Salt Water Pools
Swimming pool chlorine generators are used to create chlorine in your swimming pools so that you need not have to add salt manually. The machines automatically control chlorine at the level they are set. As machines test salt water pools, there is no need for you to buy or store chlorine-based chemicals.
Most of the chlorine generators work when the salt content is between 1500 to 6000 ppm . The salt taste threshold for humans is about 3500.
Don’t Miss: Can You Heat An Above Ground Pool
Best Pool Test Kit Quick Answers:
Finding the best pool algaecide or the best pool shock to treat your water, or the best pool vacuum to get out the debris is essential to maintaining your swimming pool. But its only a start. To ensure that your pool water is chemically balanced and safe for swimming, you need to use a pool testing kit regularly! Even if your pool looks clean and clear, the water chemistry might be off. It could damage your pool equipment, and may also be unsafe for swimmers.
Thats why a reliable pool water test kit is every pool owners best friend. It can reveal your pools levels of free chlorine, pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, cyanuric acid, and more. If you have a salt water pool, youll need to test your salt level, too.
Trying to choose the best pool test kit brand for pool maintenance? This guide will help you determine the best pool test kit based on your unique needs and budget.