Why Trust The Spruce
This article was written by Camryn Rabideau, a freelance writer and product tester for The Spruce. While researching the different types of pool cleaners, she spoke with Stewart Vernon, COO and founder of Americas Swimming Pool Company for insights on how to select the best option for your pool. As she evaluated different products, she considered factors such as their setup, ease of use, versatility, and overall cost, aiming to select top-rated products at a wide range of price points to cater to different shoppers.
Above Ground Pool Cleaners
- Aqua Products Refine by Manufacturer: Aqua Products
- Dolphin Refine by Manufacturer: Dolphin
- Hayward Refine by Manufacturer: Hayward
- Intex Refine by Manufacturer: Intex
- Jacuzzi Refine by Manufacturer: Jacuzzi
- Polaris Refine by Manufacturer: Polaris
- Water Tech Refine by Manufacturer: Water Tech
- Handheld Refine by Pool Cleaner Type: Handheld
- Pressure Side Refine by Pool Cleaner Type: Pressure Side
- Robotic Refine by Pool Cleaner Type: Robotic
- Suction Side Refine by Pool Cleaner Type: Suction Side
- All Surfaces Refine by Pool Surface: All Surfaces
- Vinyl and Fiberglass Refine by Pool Surface: Vinyl and Fiberglass
- Vinyl Only Refine by Pool Surface: Vinyl Only
Now viewing 12 of 13 products
Best Suction: Hayward W3pvs20jst Poolvergnuegen Pool Cleaner
Courtesy of Amazon
Ideal for small and medium pools
Ridged wheels improve climbing
Maintains suction on uneven surfaces
Includes interchangeable throats
Doesnt clean corners well
Suction-side pool cleaners, like the Hayward Poolvergnuegen, rely on the pools pump to suction up debris via a hose that connects to the skimmer. This popular model is designed to be used on in-ground pools up to 16 x 32 feet, and its suitable for gunite, vinyl, fiberglass, pebble, and tile finishes. For best results, connect it at least to a half HP pump.
The Poolvergnuegen automatically navigates around the floor and walls for a more thorough clean. Ridged wheels allow it to navigate over drains and up walls, and adjustable roller skirts help maintain suction on uneven surfaces. Self-adjusting turbine vanes collect large debris without clogging.
The cleaner even comes with three interchangeable throats that allow you to adjust its suction power.
Price at time of publish: $449
Dimensions: 40.4 x 13.6 x 11.9 inches | Weight: 12 pounds | Type: Suction-side | Pool Type: In-ground | Cleaning Coverage: Floors, walls
Also Check: How Inground Pools Are Built
Suction Side Pool Cleaners
The suction pool cleaners are considerably less expensive, but require you to have a powerful enough filtration system. Plus, they may put your filter to work, thus wearing it out faster and bringing up your electric bill. They rely entirely on your pull pump for suction and movement along the floor of the pool.
They come with a hose that attaches to your skimmer for water-based vacuuming. The benefit is that some may climb up the sides of the pool.
These types of cleaners are actually straightforward to use, however, do put more strain on your filter and system while using up more energy.
Tirrito Roker 100 Robot Pool Vacuum
- Smart & Innovative Pool Accessories – Our robot vacuum is programmed to navigate your pool’s corners and edges. Go ahead and use it for cleaning in-ground pools or swimming pools above ground.
- Clutter-Free Cleaning – This swimming pool robot vacuum cleaner doesn’t use hoses or cables. Our sleek cordless vacuum cleaner has a top handle that allows for effortless lifting out of the water.
- Clean In One Go – It only takes 2.5 hours to fully charge this automatic pool cleaner. Our robotic pool cleaner for above ground pools runs for up to 80 minutes, perfect for cleaning even large pools.
- Clear & Spotless – Fitted with a brushless motor that packs 6000GPA of suction power, this pool vacuum robot has a filtering accuracy of up to 80 microns.
- Easy Operation – Power on the automatic pool vacuum, place it in the water, and it cleans the pool by itself. Our pool cleaner robot automatically docks once cleaning is done or when battery is low.
Read Also: Hot Tub Chemical Starter Kit
Tips To Use Robotic Pool Cleaners:
Here are some quick tips and tricks mentioned by customers who are using these robotic pool cleaners. This might help you when you experience some troubleshooting.
- If debris falls out while removing the cleaner from the pool, then remove it either quickly or slowly, and ensure to keep it upright every time.
- For a beach entrance style of pool, then robotic cleaner might flip over when it climbs a nearby wall. The water at the entrance is too shallow to make it turn itself. Several cleaners offer an auto-shut-off feature to prevent this issue.
- Stretch the power cord straight and let it sit in the sun for some hours to prevent cord tangling.
- Ensure that filters are enclosed completely with the fully locked door or the cleaner wont run.
- It is a must to perform pool maintenance using regular brushing, and test water pH and chemistry. Yet remember that your pool robot can do much more. If the pool is neglected and filthy, then you have to clean it manually at first and then use the robot for its proper maintenance and cleaning.
- Usually, the roller tracks might stretch and loosen over time. In case, if you found the robot is not climbing as usual, then its time to replace the tracks.
Better More Thorough Cleaning
It is without a doubt that a robotic pool cleaner does a much better job of cleaning your pool than any other method.
Most cleaners use a combination of scrubbing brushes and a vacuuming mechanism to ensure a thorough cleaning. A cleaner pool not only looks good but is safer for everyone who uses it, especially children.
Also Check: What Chemicals Do I Need To Start My Pool
Dolphin Triton Ps Robotic Pool Cleaner
Dolphin Triton is another robot pool cleaner suitable for pools up 50 feet long. Like most other Dolphin pool cleaners, the Dolphin Triton uses CleverClean Technology that finds the best way to have your pool cleaned in the shortest period. The robotic cleaner also has an extra-large top access filtration system and only weighs about 16.5 lbs. It also comes with a 2-year warranty.
You can choose to create a cleaning schedule for your pool using the Dolphin Triton PS. The pool cleaner is also totally independent of your pools pump and filter.
What Is A Robotic Swimming Pool Cleaner
Robotic pool cleaners combine the best parts of other automatic vacuums. For example, suction-side cleaners are inexpensive but a pain to get set up. Mainly because they connect to your pool skimmer the same way a manual vacuum does. And if the cleaner sucks up any rocks, it can cause damage to your filter system.
Pressure-side cleaners use the water pressure from your return jet to power the vacuum along the bottom of your pool in a random cleaning pattern. Whats great about this is they have their own mesh filter bag that picks up the debris instead of your filter system. So it wont cause any potential damage.
Robotic cleaners have a mesh filter bag inside them and are powered by water pressure from your pump and pool filter. But that pressure comes from a motor within the unit powered by electricity. So even better, it doesnt require running your entire filter system to power the vacuum. You can clean your pool while the pool filter system is off! It even improves water circulation!
NOTE: If youre worried about putting an electric vacuum in your pool, dont be. Theyre perfectly safe. Also, check out our favorite robotic pool cleaners specifically for inground and above ground swimming pools.
You May Like: Orlando Hotels With The Best Pools
What Is A Suction
As the name implies, it uses the power of suction to vacuum your pool from your pool pump and filtration system. It actually works exactly like your manual vacuum cleaner by connecting to your pool skimmer either with just a hose or a vac plate. The only big difference is that it moves around on its own in a random cleaning pattern.
Check out our favorite suction-side pool cleaners for above grounds.
Hayward Poolvergnuegen Poolcleaner Suction Vacuum
Dont let the long name distract from the fact that this is a killer pool vacuum.
The PoolCleaner rolls along on two specifically designed tire treads that maintain a close grip to pool bottoms and climb uneven surfaces.
A roller skirt helps to maintain suction at all times, and the PoolCleaner has a series of pre-programmed steering sequences that ensure every corner and crevice of the pool is being swept for debris.
With its two-wheel suction, it is best suited for above-ground pools that are up to 16×32 feet in size. They also produce a four-wheel model that tackles larger pools that include multiple levels.
The PoolCleaner is one of the best-rated pool cleaners on Amazon, with almost a thousand reviewers giving it an average of a 4.5-star rating.
Read Also: What Is The Best Hot Tub
Our Top Pick For An Above Ground Pool Robotic Cleaner: Water Tech Pool Blaster Cx
For our experts, the Water Tech Pool Blaster CX-1 is the best above ground pool robotic cleaner. The product is suitable for all sizes and shapes of pools. This robotic cleaner is also suitable for all forms of pool surfaces vinyl, plaster, tile, and granite.
It is also suitable for cleaning extra-large debris and can be easily cleaned. The cleaner also operates using an innovative technology which finds the best way to clean your pool in the fastest period.
Price And Delivery Time
The cost of the best automatic above ground pool cleaner review is a critical consideration during the purchasing process. However, although some best automatic above ground pool cleaner review are pricey due to their quality or functionality, others are not. To avoid overcharging, it is essential to pay attention to these factors. In addition, the product’s arrival time is critical, and it should be as brief as possible.
Recommended Reading: How To Heat Up Above Ground Pool
The Best Above Ground Pool Cleaners Of 2022
After testing every single above ground pool vacuum on the market on a variety of pools, both big and small, here are our top picks.
NOTE: The following above ground pool vacuums are available to buy on either Amazon and InTheSwim.com. Check both sites for availability. All the links are affiliate links which means if you click a link and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. It helps us keep the lights on
Best Overall : Polaris Vac
Captures small and large debris
Cleans in three hours or less
Keeps debris out of pool filtration system
Small collection bag
Mesh screen clogs easily
What do buyers say? 81% of 2,900+ Amazon reviewers rated this product 4 stars or above.
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 is our top choice for cleaning your in-ground pool. Water pressure coming from the pool’s return line powers this pressure-side pool cleaner, which you can use on all in-ground pool shapes and surfaces, including vinyl, pebble, tile, and more. Three jets furnish superior vacuuming power, and its large 2.25-inch inlet helps capture large and small debris. An included sweep hose helps it get into tight corners and steps. If desired, you can upgrade it to the brands TailSweep PRO for more thorough cleaning.
You can adjust the 31-foot hose to fit the size of your pool, and the all-purpose debris bag captures detritus such as leaves and pebbles, keeping them out of your pool’s filtration system. Unlike other Vac-Sweep models, the 360 requires no additional booster pump, and it cleans your entire pool in three hours or less, so you get back into the water sooner! The all-wheel belt drive scrubs and vacuums the walls and floor of your pool, and its in-line backup valve frees the unit if it gets stuck.
Price at time of publish: $579
Dimensions: 20 x 10 x 23 inches | Weight: 14 pounds | Type: Pressure-side | Pool Type: In-ground | Cleaning Coverage: Floors, walls
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Epoxy Pool Paint
Water Tech Pool Blaster Cx
The Water Tech Pool Blaster Robot Pool Cleaner is currently one of the most innovative pool cleaning solutions on the market. The cleaner is cordless and rechargeable. Also, built as an automated robotic pool cleaner, the Pool Blaster CX-1 is suitable for all sizes and surfaces of a residential pool. The Pool Blaster CX-1 can be used in 2 selectable modes and can run for up to 4 hours at a stretch. You can also choose to schedule a one-hour cleaning session every day of the week with a single charge.
The unit is self-driven and it comes with a retrieval hook that makes it easy to collect from the swimming pool after use. The Pool Blaster CX-1 is suitable for sand, leaves, algae, and other forms of debris from pool surfaces. The charging time of the Pool Blaster CX-1 is between 6 to 8 hours. The pool blaster also comes with a 2-year warranty on batteries and motors.
Maintenance Tips For The Robotic Pool Cleaner:
Since you spend a lot of money on the automatic pool cleaner, you have to purchase a model that lasts longer. So, robotic pool cleaners require a bit extra care than regular simple pool cleaners to make them work properly at their peak.
Here we have mentioned some general tips to maintain the smooth running of your pool robot.
- Take out the robot from the pool after completing the cleaning process. Submersion of the unit for a prolonged time will damage the motor and also a risk of electrical shock is associated when done swimming in this water.
- Drain out all the water thoroughly from the cleaner after taking it out. Your user manual has all the instructions that let you know how to. If not, simply browse online videos.
- A quick replacement of worn filters and brushes is compulsory for its efficient working.
- After each cycle, it is a must to clean the unit that includes brushes, and wheels of debris, along with emptying and washing the filters.
- Always store the pool robot out of direct sunlight, and protect them from the elements. If not, the power supply might damage, if exposed to torrential rain or other severe weather.
Read Also: Can I Use Bleach In My Pool
Best Robotic Pool Cleaners In 2022 Reviews & Buying Guide
Ease your swimming pool cleaning routine with one of these top-notch robotic pool cleaners.
Robotic pool cleaners are designed to clean the pool quickly and efficiently without any strain or mess. Because of the advanced cleaning technology, power supply, and filter media, they can easily clear out pool contaminants like algae, dirt, leaves, and small debris.
These machines are energy-efficient, durable, low maintenance, environmental-friendly, and water & money saver. Basic models can scrub only the pool floors, but not walls. If you want a model that ensures complete pool cleaning , invest in a model that offers advanced features like customized cleaning modes, scheduled cleanings, and remote controls.
Here is a quick outlook of other key factors to consider before investing in this robotic pool cleaner.
- Supported Pool Size
The size of the pool is essential to consider before buying a robotic cleaner. Almost all models of robotic cleaners allow the use of an extension cord to get the perfect length for proper cleaning of the pool without any limitations. Also, the pool size will let you know the speed at which a robot performs its cleaning tasks. For instance, a 30-foot pool needs a different cord length and time for the cleaner compared to a 50-foot pool.
- Pool Floor Material & Shape
Pool Debris And Filtration:
It is a good idea to know the type of debris landing in your pool before choosing the best pool cleaning robot. Mostly, it depends on several factors like the geographical location, climate, and landscape that might end up the junk floating in the pool.
If your pool is located in a place with a lot of trees, then you need a robot with a large filtration basket to prevent you from emptying the filled device too quickly. If the pool is flooded with finer debris like dust or pollen, then go with a pool cleaning robot with ultra-fine filters.
Some premium or high-end models offer multiple filters that let you switch to customize your required filter to collect small-large debris from the pool. It consists of a large debris filter , a small filter , fine filters , and others filters with small pores .
It is important to replace or clean the replaceable cassette or bag, which collects the debris after completing this cleaning cycle, and also check it before starting the next pool cleaning cycle. If not, clogging might result in poor performance and thereby eventually reduce the machines lifespan.
Also Check: How To Contract Your Own Pool
Check The Power Supply
- Check the power cordto ensure that it is not damaged, and then plug it firmly into the power supply transformer, which is plugged into the GFCI outlet. Check all these connections properly.
- An indicator light will let you know about power flow through it. In case, if there is a proper power supply, yet the robot cleaner is not working, then the problem is somewhere else.
- The problem can be due to the shortage of power cord, which means the wires might break from inside the rubber casing connection. It occurs quite often at a spot having greater stress on the cleaners cord.
- If the operator exerts much force in pulling the cord for removing the cleaner from the pool, then the wires might break. If the cord is in proper shape, then check for the motor resistance with a test meter to know whether the power is reaching the motor or not.
- If the power is reaching properly, and the motor is not working, then its time to install a new motor.