How Do You Install An Above
The proper way to install an above-ground pool depends on the type. However, there’s a general process to follow when setting up standard pools with PVC walls and steel frames. After clearing an area and making sure the ground is level, start by laying down the ground cloth and placing the bottom plate on top.
Next, connect the metal rails to the bottom plate and around the perimeter. Then connect the vertical side rails to the bottom portion of the frame. Be sure to read the directions carefully, as the different metal rods can look similar but won’t line up or connect properly if you use the wrong ones.
After that, install the lining onto the bottom plate and up the walls. When finished, your pool should have a balanced shape, and the walls should all be the same height.
Rx Clearradiant Complete Sand Filter System
EXCELLENT LARGE POOL SYSTEM
Rx Clear Radiant Above Ground Pool Sand Filter Pump
- POOL CAPACITY: This Rx Clear above ground pool sand filter range covers pool sizes from 16000 gallons through to a model capable of filtering a 26000 gallon pool.
- PUMP SIZE: This model has a 0.75 HP pump is matched to the smaller sand filter. The rest of the range runs a 1.00 HP pump.
- SAND FILTER FEATURES: A single piece blow molded tank. with a top mount and a 6-position multi-port valve.A pressure gauge, sight port and of course a drain plug are are also incorporated into the design.
- PUMP FEATURES: Ideal for above ground pools the pumps efficient design and full flow hydraulics produces more movement for equivalent horsepower. This results in lower operating costs. It features a two piece cover and clear view port.
- EASE OF INSTALLATION: The sand filter and pump combo are conveniently set on top of a universal base unit for neat and easy seat up and installation.
- DIMENSIONS: The smaller models in the range measure 36.6 inches high with the largest model just a couple of inches taller.
- WARRANTY: 3 Year limited warranty on sand filter.
Because the system is integrated on a universal base its super easy to fit.
One owner reports green to clean and clear in just ten hours!!
Even the smallest capacity system works great on a large 15 x 30 above ground pool.
Runs quietly and energy bills are unexpectedly low.
What Owners Dont Like So Much
Add The Filter Sand And Water
Once everything seems to be working properly, you can add some water and filter sand at the same time. Youll need about 60 pounds of this material in total so make sure its available before moving on with your process because adding too much or not enough will cause problems later when trying to create a balance between these two items.
After laying out the filter sand inside of your pools filter tank, add in some water and let it settle into place. After the water has drained, you can add more if needed and repeat this process until its clean enough to swim in without feeling any dirt or other particles on your skin.
Don’t Miss: Removing Scale From Pool Tile
The Best Above Ground Pool Sand Filters Online
When choosing your next pool sand filter, you should consider other factors besides the filter type.
For instance, you will need to consider factors like filter efficiency, durability and, above all, its maintenance requirements.
And last, but not least, it is extremely important to make sure that the filtration system you choose matches the size of your pool.
There are many options when it comes to sand pool filters but Ive shortlisted the best ones I could find.
Below is my review of each one, including all their negative points.
What Size Above Ground Pool Pump Do I Need
Swimming pool pumps are essential for keeping your pool water fresh and clean. To make sure youre swimming in the highest quality water possible, you need to use the right pump. Some think that upgrading to a larger pump will mean cleaner water, but thats not always the case. Sometimes, a larger pump is less effective and can end up costing a lot more in operating costs. If youre wondering What size above ground pool pump do I need?, youve come to the right place.
Below well explain everything you need to know to choose the right size above ground pool pump.
Recommended Reading: Pool Warehouse Fiberglass Pools
Testing Your Sand Bottom
The weight of the water in the pool will help to compact the sand bottom underneath the liner. Generally it takes 5-10 days for the sand to be fully compacted and become hardened.
The first time you get in the pool to swim, gently feel the bottom of the pool to ensure the sand is sufficiently compacted. If the bottom is still soft, give it a few more days before walking around on the bottom.
***Country Leisure Pro Tip: Leaving footprints in the bottom of the pool will make it extremely difficult to vacuum your pool dont rush this step!
Water Care & General Maintenance
You will want to test your water at least weekly. There are a variety of different test kits available. They include strips that you simply dunk in the water to get your water readings, drop kits, and even completely automated systems that will continuously monitor your water and alert you if anything needs to be added. Some pool retailers will have a water lab that can test your water for you as well.
You will want to watch the following 3 readings weekly: pH, alkalinity and chlorine. For a chlorine-based pool, you’ll want to maintain your pH reading between 7.2 and 7.8, your alkalinity between 80 120 and your chlorine level at 1.5 3. These levels will ensure proper sanitization of your water and should keep it clear and clean.
On a monthly basis, you will want to test copper , water hardness and cyanuric acid levels, and ensure these are within the appropriate range.
The most common water issues with above ground pools are green water and/or cloudy water.
Green pool water indicates algae, and generally requires the water to be shocked with a high dose of sanitizer .
Cloudy water can be caused by many factors commonly we see it after shocking a pool. The dead algae that is not caught by the filter tends to hang out in the water. In these cases, you will want to floc the pool. This process causes the algae or other contaminants that are in suspension in the pool water to sink to the bottom, allowing you the ability to vacuum them out.
Also Check: How To Raise Cya In Pool
Xtremepower Sand Filter Pump For Above Ground Pools
BRILLIANT SMALL POOL SYSTEM
XtremepowerUS 13 Sand Filter Pump COMBO w/TIMER
- POOL CAPACITY: The manufacturer recommends for pools up to 10,000 gallons. The advertised hourly pump turnover rate is 2640 gallons so we think they might be underselling their product a little. This filter pump will clean up to 10,000 gallon pools at a jog. We like that.
- PUMP SIZE: Fitted with a high efficiency 0.75 HP pump so it should keep system running cost down
- SAND FILTER FEATURES: A 13 inch moulded corrosion proof tank, it takes just 43 lbs of sand to fill it. The four way multivalve settings are Filter, Backwash, Rinse and Waste.
- TIMER: An integrated timer/controller is programmable. Choose from six settings from 2 to 24 hours. This is a really useful feature on any pump. Other manufacturers should take note !
- OVERLOAD PROTECTION: The system is protected with an automatic thermal overload protector.
- WARRANTY: 1 Year limited warranty on everything.
What Owners Like
Plenty of power. The timer means its just set and forget. Four to five hours daily seems plenty for 10,000 gallon pool.
An incredible price for the features and quality.
Exceeds by some margin the usual stock systems.
Simple to build and install. Connects with any 1-1/4 inch system. Just add XO for larger.
What Owners Dont Like So Much
No really meaningful negatives on this product.
Whats The Most Powerful Intex Pool Pump
The most powerful Intex pump is the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-26679 that can easily serve a 15,000-gallon pool. The pump flow rate is 2,650 gallons per hour. And It has a sand capacity of 120 lbs.
With the Hydro Aeration Technology, the pump provides improved circulation and filtration, better water clarity, and an increase in negative ions at the water surface.
The Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-26679 is best for above ground pools that have a capacity of 4,800 to 15,000 gallons.
Also Check: Is The Pool Open At Winstar
How To Install A Pool Sand Filter
3.27 out of5 stars on 123 ratings
This guide describes the steps required to install a Hayward sand filter. The picture at left shows the two major components of a typical sand filter: the Filter Tank and the Multiport Valve and piping assembly. When installed, the valve sets on top of the tank and the vertical pipe the lateral assembly are inside the tank.
Assemble The Pool Filter
- Assemble the pool filter according to its manufacturers instructions. Typically, you will screw in the pressure gauge first, using a wrench to firmly secure the nut on the last few screws. Secure the pool filters drain cap.
- Next move on to putting together the internal lateral piping. Follow the manufacturers instructions closely, as the internal piping will differ between brands and types of pool filters.
- Once assembled, place the pool filter into position to connect it to the existing pool lines.
Tip: When connecting threaded PVC piping, wrap the threaded sections of the pipes in one to two layers of PTFE thread seal tape before screwing in the pipes to better seal the connections and prevent leaking in the future.
Don’t Miss: Does Target Carry Pool Supplies
Sand Master Soft Sided Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System
The Sand Master not only pumps but filters your soft sided pool. It keeps pool water clean and clear so you can use it for longer without having to change the water.
This system is good for all above ground soft sided pools. It has a 20-gallon-per-minute pump and a convenient 4-function valve. This product comes with all the necessary connections to install the pump and the filter system to your pool . Also, the filter tank is resistant to corrosion, cold and wet weather and can contain up to 42 pounds of sand.
This system measures 21.8 x 12.8 x 16.5 inches, weighs 22.4 pounds.
- The disadvantage of this product is that you must buy the sand separately.
- It does not have an on / off switch built into the timer.
- Difficult to obtain spare parts if one of the pieces breaks.
- It comes with all the necessary equipment to carry out the installation, such as nails etc.
- Saves you time and money as you do not have to replace the filters often.
- Works with pools up to 9.6K gallons.
- Has a 1 year warranty.
- It is a good pump with a good price especially as the sand only needs changing every 5 years.
Tips For Installing A Sand Pool Filter
- Purchase the amount of sand or suitable sand alternative recommended by the sand filters manufacturer.
- Fill the filters tank halfway with water before adding sand to protect the lateral assembly parts.
- Before running for the first time, backwash the filter with the pool pump off. Ensure the wastewater line is ready and releases water in your chosen location.
- After backwashing the filter, turn the pool pump on and set the sand filter to the filter setting.
- In about five to seven years, you should empty the filters tank and replace the sand.
You May Like: How Much Do Small Fiberglass Pools Cost
Above Ground Pool Sand Filters Which Is The Best
The best above ground pool sand filter is the one that is the right size for your pool and works effectively.
It is important that you install a good and reliable pool filter system to keep the bottom and surface of your pool clean and reduce the need for too much maintenance.
The main task of above ground pool sand filters are to remove the particles of undissolved dirt from your pool water.
Having a good one installed will make a lot easier for you. This is because it will cut down the amount of cleaning that you will need to do, avoid unnecessary clogging and keep the water safe for all who use it.
My favorite from all the above ground pool sand filters is the 4500GPH 19 Sand Filter.
This is because it is compatible with most above ground pools, it is cost effective and provides good quality filtration.
When The Filter Directions Can’t Be Found
The tips on this page should help you with your above ground pool filter installation, without any leaks. It is also important to have the water flowing the proper direction, so we will cover that first.
To get the water flowing the right direction remember this tip – basket to basket. This means that your skimmer should flow directly into the hair and lint pot on the front of the pump. The skimmer basket to the lint pot basket, that’s the direction the water needs to flow.
With that done, the clean water coming out of the filter goes back into the pool through the pool return fitting.
Filter Installation – Fittings
Some systems may have couplers with o-rings instead of threaded adapters. If so, just follow the instructions, as they are very easy to install. The threaded adapters need to be taped and doped before installing. I use a product call T+2 made by Teflon on the threads first, I then use Teflon tape over that. Using the combination of the two sealers is a sure way to never have an above ground pool filter system leak.
If you have a sand filter with a multi port valve assembly on the top of the tank you probably have an elbow adapter to go down to the pump. This adapter needs to be installed first. I install all of the fittings before attaching the assembly to the tank. It is, however, important to place the valve assembly in the exact location it will eventually get installed.
Filter Installation – Media
Filter Installation – Hoses
Recommended Reading: Aria Swimming Pool
Unpack And Heck The Parts
The first step is to unbox everything that comes with the pool filter system so you can have a look at your items before going any further. That will give you an idea of whats involved in this entire process from start to finish. Once unpacked, take out all of the necessary components and make sure they are in working order. You should be able to see the sand filter, which is a round-shaped device with some different features on top such as gauges and valves.
Are There Other Options
Yes! Its generally better to start with the highest recommended filtration and taper down. Once you have an algae bloom or the water chemistry gets too far out of whack, it can be very difficult to get things under control.
How the water in your pool behaves depends on a lot of different factors how often you use it, how many people use it, how much direct sunlight it gets, etc. Some people feel that cycling the entire pool once in a 24-hour period is enough and you may find that it is.
Some people run the filter for eight hours overnight and turn them off during the day. Others do leave the filter off at night and do eight hours during the day or you can try four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening. It all depends on what works best with your swimming pool. Thats why its good to find a pool pump made with these options in mind. Most of them have different speed settings as well as timers so you can customize it to your needs.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does An Endless Pool Cost
Above Ground Pool Kit Price
The actual pool will cost approximately $1,700 for an all metal 18 pool and go up to $7,500 for an all resin 33 pool. You will find the all metal pools to be the most inexpensive option, while the all resin pool will be the most expensive pool kit. If there is a hybrid pool option, it will be priced somewhere in between a metal and resin pool kit.
BONUS: If you have ever wanted to see an above ground pool kit be manufactured, here is a great video that gives a high level overview of the process. Note that installation in Oklahoma has a few differences than what is shown on the video.
How Do Pool Sand Filters Work
There is nothing too complicated in any sand filter and an above ground pool sand filter is no different, its just a sealed reservoir of sand that water is pumped through.
If we peer into the top of the empty reservoir well see a pipe running down the centre to the bottom. At the bottom its connected to a number of shorter pipes that fan out around the base of the reservoir, were going to call them laterals.
Its the multivalve on top of the reservoir canister of sand that works the magic. Its got a number of functions and settings but were interested in the filter and backwash ones.
You May Like: How Much Is Salt Water Pool