Why You Need To Know How To Patch Your Pool Liner
If youre a pool owner, its non-negotiable that you know how to patch your pool liner. Not only should you know how to patch the liner effectively, but its something that needs to be done quickly.
A wrinkle in your pool liner can quickly turn into a tear and a tear in your pool liner can cause a lot of damage, especially when left unchecked. Damage equates to costly repairs. Additionally, patching your own pool liner will save you the headache of having to balance out your pools chemicals each time you have to replace the fresh water that has leaked out.
There are two types of vinyl pools: above ground and inground. Each come with their own set of dangers in terms of leaks.
How To Find Out If You Have A Pool Leak
In many cases, a pool leak can be big enough to be perceivable by water level checks. In some instances though, pool owners might remain in the dark for long before noticing the leak.
If you notice signs such as green growth in the water in spite of regular chemical treatment, separated skimmer boxes, cracks in the pool deck or damp areas around the pool, you should conclude without a doubt that you have a pool leak.
Offering A Full Range Of Vinyl Pool Repair Services
ABCO Vinyl Pool Repair can
- Repair your pools liner In addition to vinyl pool leak repair , we also repair waterline sun rot damage. When the top portion of your liner degrades, you know the rest of the liner is coming down the home stretch. But if you cant afford the inground pool liner replacement cost just yet, we can buy you some time with expert repairs.
Best Cheap Pool Patch Kit: 8 Pack 3 Rounds Heavy Duty Blue Vinyl Patch Kit For Boats Inflatables Pools
- 1100 denier reinforced vinyl coated fabric
- Works for pool liners as well as inflatable pools, rafts, and air mattresses
Part of patching your pool on your own means that you will be able to save a bit of money. When you have a pool repair company come in, the pool repair could turn into an entire vinyl liner repair. With this cheap pool patch kit, you will have several different color choices and a very easy to work with patch material.
The patches are made with 1100 denier vinyl coated fabric that is designed to hole up over time and keep the pool leak-free. You can use these pool patches on rafts and even air mattresses as well. Regardless of the liner color you have, this patching product will get the job done.
- Only sold in small circles, no large sheets
Tips For Patching A Pool Liner Underwater
- Get some help. An extra pair of hands never hurts, especially for larger repair jobs.
- Use good swimming goggles. Dont make the mistake of thinking you wont need any. Opening your eyes underwater for very long will make you miserable later.
- Get your tools together ahead of time. Place all your tools beside the pool before you begin. Getting in and out of the pool to get what you need is a pain.
- Consider using a snorkel. If you have a larger leak or one that you think might take you a while to find, a snorkel will be a huge time-saver.
- Work quickly. While the adhesive is waterproof, the less contact it has with the water, the better. It sticks better if you can quickly get it to surface and slap it on. To help with this, you can fold it in half with the glue on the inside. Then, insert it into the water and unfold it right before you stick it on the leak.
Also Check: Thursday Pools Dealer
If Your Vinyl Pool Liner Needs Patching Hh
The worlds most effective PVC vinyl adhesive is ideal for mending liner tears, spa covers, and most inflatable vinyl pool toys. It works underwater, sets in minutes, and holds fast even in extreme conditions. And it bonds with just a single application.
That may be why HH-66 is recommended by pool-repair experts and bundled in pool patch kits throughout the United States.
Theres no better way of bonding vinyl and no stronger way to patch your pool.
Alternatives To Vinyl Liner Pools
If youre in the market for a new inground pool and the idea of fighting wrinkles and other liner issues sounds like more trouble than its worth, maybe you should consider a fiberglass pool as an alternative.
Fiberglass pool shells are incredibly durable, look great, and have no liner to maintain. If youd like to learn more, our free ebook provides an in-depth comparison of fiberglass, vinyl liner, and concrete pools.
At River Pools, we manufacture and install fiberglass pools for customers across North America. Take a look at our catalog of pool models today, and browse our gallery to see what we can do for your swimming pool project.
Wondering how much that fiberglass pool might cost? Contact us to request pricing, and try out our fiberglass pool pricing calculator below for a fast estimate:
Want to see about how much that cost will be with all your favorite pool accessories?
Use our Design and Price Tool to walk through your options and approximate price!
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.
You May Like: What Time Does Leslie’s Pool Supplies Close
Testing For A Pool Leak
You can carry out a DIY test to check whether water loss in the pool is more than the amount caused by evaporation. This test can also help you spot the source of the leak. Place a 5-gallon container in the water on the second step of the pool. Fill the can with water so that it is the same height as the pools water level.
Turn off any recirculating pumps and wait for 24 hours. Compare the water level in the pool versus the 5-gallon plastic container. If the pool water level has receded more than the water level in the container, there is likely to be an underground leak.
Take Advantage Of The Abco Vinyl Pool Repairs Expertise
When in ground vinyl liner pools need repairs or renovations, San Diego homeowners count on ABCO to get the job done right. For over 40 years we have focused exclusively on repairing and upgrading these types of pools. Having replaced thousands of liners and repaired countless others, we are masters of this craft. Nobody else even comes close!
In addition to amazing customer service, ABCO is also known for:
- Longer-lasting liners Nationally, vinyl inground pool liners last an average of 8 to 10 years. ABCOs vinyl swimming pool liners last an average of 11 to 13 years, with many lasting even longer than that.How do we achieve this? Meticulous measurementsexpert installation of high-quality linersand a unique Pool School that teaches you and your pool servicing company exactly how to care for your new vinyl pool liner.
- Encyclopedic materials knowledge Theres a very hostile environment lurking behind your pools liner! We know which types of wood, screws, fasteners and other materials will last, and which will hasten the degradation and disintegration of your pools infrastructure.
You May Like: Is The Pool Open At Winstar
Large Vinyl Pool Patch Kit For Wet Patches
When you have to make repairs to your pool liner under water, there is no better adhesive than Boxer. Boxer vinyl repair glue is the professionals choice when it comes to underwater patches. We have packaged our pieces of vinyl cut from actual in ground liners that were never installed. Our wet pool patch kit comes with a 4 oz can of Boxer and a non beaded piece of vinyl. We sell the wet kit for $35.00, and ship it for free.
How To Order Our Large Pool Patch Repair Kits
You could of course call to place an order, we can take credit cards on phone orders. For PayPal orders, you could send us your email address, along with the liner pattern, bead type, and glue selection. We will invoice you directly from PayPal. Or lastly, you could send a check to 28 Bridge st, Lowell MA 01852, along with all pertinent information for shipping.
No matter how you order, please make sure we have your correct address.
Recommended Reading: Diy Inground Pool
Vinyl Pool Liner Wrinkle Repair
The most common fixable problem with vinyl pool liners is when the liner has shifted and created folds or wrinkles. They can occur in almost any pool especially if you live in an area that experiences extreme temperatures changes, a lot of direct sunlight or your water level has fluctuated. It’s common for pool owners to discover wrinkles in their liner during spring pool opening after winter when the pool water level was lowered and ice formed due to freezing temperatures.
If you also notice folds or overlap in the vinyl you may need to reset the liner by emptying your pool and reinstalling the liner. If the wrinkles or folds are minor the best way to remedy this is to use a toiler plunger or a device that creates suction without damaging the liner. You can try to manipulate the areas around the wrinkle or fold. This method is relatively safe to try on your own and will work with minor wrinkles and folds in your liner.
When Tears Rips & Scratches Appear
Age, chemical erosion, and debris may cause small rips and tears to appear in your pool liner. If you act fast, you can minimize the damage and only need a small patch. Patching the tear will only set you back $100-$300 and prevent any serious water damage to the concrete pool structure. However, if there are major rips and scratches and water has already seeped into the pools foundation, you may need the liner replaced. It is best to replace the liner if you notice the tear is not isolated and occurs randomly throughout the pool. This signifies the liner is weak and brittle and will need an entire replacement. Depending on the size of the pool, a liner replacement generally costs between $1,000 and $4,000.
Don’t Miss: Does The Fire Department Fill Swimming Pools
Best Spa Patch: Spa Bond Hot Tub & Pool Leak Seal Patch Kit Clear Ultra
- PVC Pipe leak repair – conforms to any shape
- Vinyl liner – spa cover tear repair – ultra adhesive bond – no messy liquids
- Seals cracks in spa shell – even large holes
Unfortunately, pools are not the only thing that will have cracks from time to time. A spa can get a crack, and in order to fill it, you will need a leak seal patch kit. The great thing about this spa patch kit is that it can also work quite well on plumbing repairs.
One of the impressive things about the Spa Bond is that the bond actually gets stronger over time and makes a better seal. You will be able to trim these pieces to fit exactly over the area that needs a patch. We like how easy these are to work with and the fact that patching should only take a minute or two to complete.
- Perfect material for working on a spa crack
- Adhesive strengthens over time
- Not very large for a more extensive pool patch repair
What Is Causing The Leaks
Discovering the hole in the pool can be hard. However, the leak must be found and fixed to prevent water wastage and chlorine pollution in the nearby surroundings. There can be many causative factors for pool leaks, but for above ground pools, the main one is wear and tear of the vinyl lining.
When a sharp object hits the side/bottom of the pool, they can cause a tear in the vinyl surface. Vinyl tears are easy to patch up, but ensure to do so quickly to prevent the hole from enlarging. Speed is essential when repairing pool leaks to stop the other damages and problems earlier discussed.
Also Check: When Does The Venetian Pool Open
Superdi Plastic 120ft Roll Qp1562 Swimming Pool Liner Lock
|Price:||& Return this item for free|
- by entering your model number.
- Item specifics Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging . Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller’s listing for full details
- MPN: QP1562
- out you need a small wooden block and hammer to get it to seat tightly. After that, installation was done.
- Quaker Plastic 120′ ft. Roll Liner Lock
Vinyl Liner Repair Kit
The Vinyl Liner Repair Kit is designed as an all-inclusive kit for vinyl pool owners to patch vinyl liners and repair damage caused by chemicals, age, improper use, and corrosion. The 2 oz Vinyl Kit includes a vinyl bonding adhesive and 130 square inches of vinyl so you can repair your pool simply without the need to drain.
This is a great money-saving alternative and usually repairs your vinyl pool with one application. Apply adhesive to patch and fold patch over upon itself. When you reach the damaged area under water unfold patch and apply immediately to the liner, squeezing out all water bubbles. Do not disturb the patch for at least 48 hours. Allow 4-7 days for full cure.
Also Check: Pool Fences Lowes
Best Pool Patch For Above Ground Pools: Outus Self
- Easy to use: thanks to the self-adhesive back, all you need to do is to cut the patch into the shape you want and apply it to the target area, press the area with heavy things for several minutes can…
- Proper size: detail size information can seen in the pictures, the plastic repair patch can be easily trimmed into various shapes or sizes to meet your different needs, a must-have for your daily life
- Quality and durable: these vinyl repair patches are made of PVC material, durable and firm to use, hard to be worn out and break, non-toxic and no odd smell, good material can ensure you long time usage
- Large quantity to use: different quantity sets for you to choose, sufficient to meet your use and replacement, plastic repair patch can fix holes in your inflatable items effectively without leaving a…
If you have a smaller inflatable above ground pool or a smaller vinyl above ground pool, this is a great choice to consider. These swimming pool repair patches come in a pack of 30, and they simply stick on and will be safe for use in just a few minutes. The small stickers make this process very convenient and affordable as well.
- Clear design works on any color pool
- Not as durable as some other choices
How To Patch A Pool Liner Underwater
Letting all the water out can cause above ground pool walls to collapse. Emptying any pool with a vinyl liner dries it out and exposes it to damaging ultraviolet rays, which can make the liner brittle. And draining an inground pool can cause it to literally pop out of the ground if youre not careful. Its best to patch the liner underwater, unless the leak exposed it.
Important: Never drain an inground pool unless its absolutely necessarynot even before a hurricanebecause it can further weaken your liner and even cause structural damage. If its necessary, and youre not sure how to drain a pool, learn the process before you start, or hire a professional to do it for you.
Also Check: The Aria Pool
Best Vinyl Pool Patch: Swimline Vinyl Pool Liner Patch Kit
- Vinyl liner patch kit for patching small vinyl liner pinholes and tears
- Everything you need for effective underwater patching
Most people with both above-ground and in-ground pools are looking for pool patch products to fix a tear in vinyl. The vinyl liners tend to rip quite a bit easier than other pool materials, and they will need some extra attention. This Swimline Vinyl Pool Liner Patch Kit is a good solution to consider.
With this product, you can patch both pinholes and tears in your vinyl pool. These patches are capable of holding up underwater. One of the things we like about the Swimline is that the repairs seem to hold up well over time.
With this kid, you get two clear patches and two vinyl patches. Just in case you have more than one hole in your pools vinyl, you will have enough material to fix everything.
- Comes with an excess of supplies
- Can work on pinholes and tears
- Long-lasting adhesive materials
- Blue color vinyl may not match your pool liner
How To Patch A Pool Liner
You can patch a pool liner hole or tear above or below water. A dry patch might be an option if the water receded below the tear, for example, or if your pool has already been drained for other repairs or maintenance work.
Warning: we strongly advise against draining your pool unless absolutely necessary. If you do need to drain your pool for any reason, call a professional for help.
Keep in mind that most repairs will need to be completed underwater, as draining your pool could cause it to collapse or create further liner damage. Additionally, exposure to sunlight can make a dry liner brittle and unmanageable.
Recommended Reading: What Hotel Has The Best Swimming Pool In Las Vegas