Is A Backyard Pool Worth It
Theres nothing better than a dip in the pool on a hot Ohio summer day. Wouldnt it be great to have one in your own backyard? You could have friends and family over and really make the most out of summer. However, is it worth it to have your own pool with the costs of installation and maintenance when you can have access to a community pool? We did some research on the costs of installing a pool and you can decide for yourself.
According to Homeadvisor.com, the average cost of installing an inground pool is between $35,956 and $63,098. Costs vary depending on the size, material its made of, accessories, and landscaping that will be required.
Backyard Lagoon Pool Costs
A lagoon pool costs $50,000 to $150,000, or between $70 and $110 per square foot depending on the complexity in the design of your pool and the degree of landscaping you want to augment the design. Lagoon pools are perfect for homeowners looking to have something more tropical in appearance for their backyard escape.
Should You Hire A Pool Builder Or Build It Yourself
Hiring a professional pool builder is always the best option as you will know your pool is installed to Australian Standards and covered under warranty. A professional pool builder with years of experience will also likely save money in the long run as they will be better equipped and able to handle any unexpected issues.
Recommended Reading: How To Repair Inground Pool Liner
Beach Entry Or Zero Entry Pool Costs
Beach entry pools cost $87 per square foot on average, with most homeowners paying between $50 and $125 per square foot. Also known as a walk-in pool or a zero-entry pool, it has a gradually sloped entry into the poolin the same way you would walk into the water on a beach. Typically the water at that shallow end is warmer than it is in the rest of the pool.
Installing Saltwater Pool Extras
There are many extras you can purchase to enhance your swimming experience.
- Add a Salt Water Hot Tub Installing a hot tub salt water system costs$500 to $1,700. Any hot tub can be turned into a salt water hot tub, but you can get a molded, hexagonal tub for $3,000 to $10,000. For an inground hot tub, costs can reach around $20,000.
- Handicap Pool Lift A handicap pool lift is available for in-ground pools. One version with a seat that lowers into the water costs $3,355. There are many options for handicap pool lifts, making the pool accessible to nearly every person.
- Patio or deck a concrete pool deck can cost from $3,000 to $10,000, depending on size, design, and complexity.
- Pool Enclosure can cost between $6,000 $8,000
- Pool Fence costs from $600 $4,400
- Water Features
Also Check: Can Chlorine Kill Head Lice
Average Costs Of Building A Swimming Pool
Labor costs vary, depending primarily on the pool type. In-ground pools have higher labor costs than above-ground pools, while concrete and fiberglass have higher labor costs than vinyl. Labor costs are also impacted if blasting is needed with the excavation and whether the deck is installed at the same time.
On average, labor costs to build a pool range from $5,000 to $30,000 but can go higher for custom pools with specialty designs. The pool material cost ranges from $4,000 for a vinyl , $10,000 for a basic fiberglass shell, up to $27,000 for a premium shell, and between $55 and $70 a square foot for a concrete pool.
Not every project requires all levels of work. For example, not every installation requires blasting, and the finish work can range, depending on the pool material, with fiberglass requiring the least and concrete requiring the most.
|$5,000 – $30,000|
Faq About Pool Installation
1. Whats a walk-in pool, and how much does it cost to build?
Walk-in pools, also known as zero entry or beach entry pools, are designed so that a gentle slope lets you walk into the pool without using stairs or a ladder. Entering a walk-in pool is similar to how you would walk into the beachs water. Walk-in pools have the same price range as a standard pool, costing most homeowners between $50 to $125 per square foot to build.
2. Is it cheaper to build an above-ground pool?
Yes, building an above-ground pool is almost always less expensive than building an in-ground pool. For homeowners looking to install a pool on a budget, an above-ground pool is a smart option.
Read Also: Is Aria Pool Open
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Semi
What is a semi-inground pool? Torn between building an in-ground pool or an above-ground pool? Semi-inground pools offer the best of both worlds.
Youll find that a semi-ground swimming pool is significantly deeper than a regular above-ground pool, but doesnt cost nearly as much as a traditional in-ground pool. Usually, most of a semi-inground pool is below ground level, with only a few feet of the pool wall visible above ground.
- Average National Cost: $11,700
- Typical Cost Range: $8,400 to $22,500
The costs listed above are national averages, and they should help you estimate your total cost for a semi-inground pool. Keep in mind that many facets can affect overall costs, including the pools material, quality, and size.
Lets go over these different factors in detail below so you can better understand the type of semi-inground pool youre looking for and how much you can expect to pay.
Also Check: Hide Pool Equipment With Landscape
Glass Pool Enclosures Cost
Glass pool enclosures cost $30 to $65 per square foot or between $15,000 and $50,000 on average, depending on the size, type, and glass quality. Outdoor glass pool enclosures are all-season rooms that block pests and endure rain, snow, and harsh temperatures for year-round use.
Glass Pool Enclosures Cost
- 200x stronger than glass. Plus, it’s lighter, more flexible, and insulates more efficiently.
- Offers UV protection, and is chemical and weather-resistant
- Withstand winds of 100 to 150 MPH and snow load between 25 and 70 PSF.
- This synthetic glass is cheap and durable, but has short longevity. The panels undergo discoloration over time and can crack, chip, dent, and scratch easily unless its hard coated.
- Polycarbonate panels are not sealed units, which can fill with dirt and water, causing fog and condensation build-up.
Recommended Reading: How To Vacuum Intex Above Ground Pool
Installation And Maintenance Costs
Once youve chosen your pools style and size, youll have to factor in installation costs as well as the costs of ongoing maintenance.
Swimming pool installation
A Narellan swimming pool is pre-fabricated and the shell is delivered to your home in one piece, ready for installation. That could mean, depending on the accessibility to your backyard, that a crane will be required to lift the pool from the flatbed truck into the yard. A portion of the installation costs will also be taken up with the excavation of the site, and, if there are rocks, this could affect the installation cost.
When you receive a quote for your pool, included in the cost will be the equipment you need to run your pool. You may decide its in your best interest to upgrade to include mineral sanitation systems, eco pool pumps or floor cleaning systems and pool covers.
In Canada, its always a good idea to get a pool cover, as chances are youll have to close your pool for the winter, and covering the pool surface during its down-time will help ensure that the pool stays free of debris during the winter months.
The cost of running and maintaining a swimming pool
Kits For Above Ground Pools
Many swimming pool companies only sell above ground pool kits, and do not actually do the pools installation.
The average above ground swimming pool kit will cost between $1,500 and $4,500, depending on the quality of the pool.
Typically, the more resin and less metal the pool has, the higher the price will be and the longer it will last.
You May Like: Pool Spiders
Read Also: How To Build An Inground Pool For Cheap
How Do I Find Swimming Pool Installers Near Me
Start by searching our list of pool installers, then compare reviews, costs, and:
- Get at least three free estimates to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Select companies that are licensed, insured, and certified.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau .
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized estimate in writing.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions and verifying their credentials, hire the best pool installers in your area.
Pool Enclosure Kits Prices
Pool enclosure kits prices range from $2,500 to $15,000 on average, depending on the size and materials. Aluminium pool screen enclosure kits cost $5 to $15 per square foot, and rounded, telescopic enclosures with glass or polycarbonate panels run $15 to $30 per square foot and up.
Pool Enclosure Kits Prices
Recommended Reading: Countryside Ymca Pool Hours
How To Convert A Pool To A Saltwater Pool
What Makes Up The Upfront Cost Of A Gunite Swimming Pool
- Design Labor Gunite swimming pools are 100% custom designed by a landscaper/pool designer. These designers are skilled in CAD and 3D rendering. Each pool and backyard design can range anywhere from 40-80 man hours of design labor. Labor is one of the largest costs in a construction business.
- Construction Labor To physically build a gunite pool takes a lot of manpower which, again, means lots of labor costs.
- Raw Material The surface material, which is either made up of plaster, an exposed aggregate surface, tile surface, mother of pearl, or a glass bead-infused aggregate are all very costly pool surfaces.
- Surface Construction Labor The surface material takes a skilled finisher to install, which will also increase the labor costs even more.
Read Also: Swimming Pool Tile Sealer
Swimming Pool Construction Cost Per Square Foot
A new swimming pool can have a very wide range of costs per square foot. The average cost for an in-ground pool ranges from $150 to $250 a square foot, depending on the material, type, shape, and finish. These costs include the full construction, including the deck and finishing work. The following sections break down the various components for understanding the costs.
For above-ground pools, costs are much lower per square foot – around $35 to $40 a square foot. Costs can also vary depending on the material, decking, shape, and type.
Diy Vs Hiring Professionals
Once youve chosen the type of pool construction, youll need to consider if you want to attempt to handle the installation by yourself or hire a builder. Unless you have prior experience with pool installation, hiring a professional is always advised. It will save you money in the long run as theyll be able to handle unexpected issues as they arise.
Builders will also be able to handle:
- Pool permits, which youll need to acquire before construction can begin.
- Waste disposal, such as excess soil, shipping materials, and cut-offs .
- Rocks and other obstacles, which can add to the cost of excavation. A local builder will also be familiar with the ground quality and will be able to anticipate major issues, working them into the budget before construction starts, making your costs more transparent.
Read Also: Mandalay Bay Beachside Casino
How Much Does An Automatic Pool Cover Cost
The average automatic pool cover might cost between $12,000 and $22,000 or more with the installation. While it might be a hefty investment, automatic pool covers have a couple of key benefits including:
- Effective at keeping out dirt and debris
- Convenient to use during the swim season and the offseason
- Keeps kids out of the pool
- More durable than other options
Automatic pool cover maintenance can also be more expensive. For example, if a tree branch rips the cover material and you need to replace it, you’re looking at paying a minimum of $1,200 for a new one, but more realistically, you can expect to pay between $2,000 to $4,000 to replace the cover.
Note: Pool cover pumps typically cost anywhere from $200 to $350 on average.
How Long Does A Pool Liner Last
On average, an inground pool liner will last 5 to 9 years, while an above-ground pool liner lasts 6 to 10 years. A typical 25-year liner warranty may only consist of 2 to 5 years of full protection before its proratedmeaning it loses value drastically every year.
An exact measurement of time is difficult to determine, but anything over ten years is impressive. With the right chemical balancing in your pool water, you can get more life out of your linernot maintaining chemical and pH levels in your pool water can destroy a vinyl liner.
- Keep your pool covered whenever its not in use.
- Dont let pets with claws swim in the pool.
- Fix tears as soon as they occur.
Read Also: How To Deter Wasps From Pool
Labor Cost To Install Saltwater Pool
The labor cost of a saltwater pool installation runs from $8,000 to $30,000. The lowest price doesnt include the excavation, but it does include all installation work. Excavation costs about $9.22 per cubic yard to a 6-foot depth, so it would cost about $920 to dig a hole big enough for a 15 x 20 pool and $1,230 for a 20 x 30 pool. The highest cost is usually all-inclusive and includes the patio, fencing, plumbing, and electrical work.
Above-ground pool salt systems are much easier to set up, and can sometimes be installed in less than an hour, or have it installed professionally for $300 $500.
Choosing A Pool Material
One of the first determining factors youll have to consider is your materials. What material you decide to use for your pool will not only play into the price you pay, but it will also impact how you maintain and use your pool for years to come.
Some materials are easy to maintain and clean, while others require much more effort and involvement. Also, some are affordable upfront, but the maintenance cost down the road quickly catches up to you. Lets take a look at the options and some of the pros and cons associated with each.
You May Like: How Long Should A Pool Pump Run A Day
How Much Does In
- Average National Cost: $45,583
- Typical Range: $32,408 to $60,873
- Low End: $21,500
- High End: $135,000
The numbers above are average in-ground pool installation costs across the U.S. Homeowners can expect to pay between $32,408 to $60,873 for their new in-ground pool, with most paying $45,583.
Remember that many factors can impact your total bill. Want to install a pool house or in-ground hot tub? Get out your credit card or checkbook. The more bells and whistles you want to add to your in-ground pool design, the more labor and materials youll need to pay for.
In-ground pools are also expensive to maintain, some more than others. In this pricing guide, we will cover how pool materials , amenities , and necessities will affect your total cost.
Diy Vs Hiring A Pool Builder
A DIY inground pool project could save you $6,000 to $10,000 on an inground fiberglass pool project that would have cost& $40,000 to $55,000 with a professional pool company.
With all of the expertise required to install a new pool and ensure good soil drainage, land grading, and excavation, the long-term results of a DIY pool install might not be worth it if you dont do everything correctly, despite the price reduction on the install.
Unexpected costs can be added on if you hire someone to excavate and your soil is too rocky for them to complete the job for the given estimate and if the soil isnt backfilled correctly, the additional pressure on the pool during heavy rains can cause it to crack and leak.
An additional factor is that the pool warranty might be nonexistent if its not installed by a professional, because you cant give any proof that you have followed all the manufacturers protocol during installation.
Get free home improvement estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pool companies:
Also Check: Does Target Carry Pool Supplies
Vinyl Fabric Pool Enclosure Prices
A vinyl fabric pool enclosure costs $10,000 to $25,000. Similar to a wedding tent, a reinforced vinyl membrane is stretched over a rigid, interlocking, and tubular frame. These structures can withstand heavy snow and winds and are permanent, but can be relocated. Some models have lighting, central air, and insulation. The fabric is either colored, clear, or opaque.
Cost Factors To Consider With An Inground Pool
The costs for inground pools can vary greatly even within the same neighborhood. That is because there are a number of variables when it comes to having your own pool, including, but not limited to:
- How your property is laid out.
- Do you need to remove trees?
- Is there rock in your backyard?
- Do you need to move sewer or electrical lines?
- What is the water table in your area?
Also, there are a number of design and landscaping options that could affect your pricing.
- Are you happy with cement around your pool?
- Do you prefer stamped concrete? Or would you like designer travertine paving around your pool?
- Are you building a patio around your pool?
- Would you like some accessories around your pool such as fire pits, water bowls or waterfalls?
As you can see, getting all of those questions answered in a way thats best for your situation is why its best to work with a professional builder/installer who is an authorized dealer. They will have the experience and the knowledge to provide you with all the options available and the associated costs. Our Contact page can put you in touch with a dealer in your area.
Read Also: How Do You Get Iron Out Of Pool Water